Besides WANTING to change & BELIEVING You can, You need to take PRACTICAL steps to become free of whatever BAD HABIT you’ve harbored before now.
HERE ARE SEVEN THINGS TO NOTE AND STEPS TO TAKE IN DEALING WITH BAD HABITS:
1. RECOGNIZE the bad habit, accept that it is BAD and not helpful for you IN ANY WAY. Without this, there can be no initial motivation to change.
2. UNDERSTAND that it took a while (weeks, months and maybe years) to build and sustain that habit, therefore it CANNOT magically disappear overnight. Even wounds take time to heal. Habits take time to change/be adopted, it takes a process of repetition and repetition and repetition before an action becomes a habit and by extension “second nature”.
3. DECIDE that you ACTIVELY want to drop that habit (or addiction) and be invested into doing whatever will help put a stop to it. You might have to cut off some kind of relationships, stop going to some kind of places, and generally do things that will REINFORCE & not WEAKEN Your resolve.
4. SEE Yourself as if you’ve already overcome. See yourself as that ONE with no addictions/bad habits. Don’t think you’re an addict and continue to see yourself that way. CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE about you. Think of yourself as having ALREADY OVERCOME but then time must take its course.
5. REPLACE that bad habit. You my friend, must find a replacement for the habit you wish to change. As the saying goes “Nature abhors vacuum”, so you can’t afford to simply “delete” the habit, It must be replaced by something positive/productive. Depending on what you’re struggling with, you’d know the kind of thing to replace it with (think hard and seek counsel if you need to).
6. CONFESS what you’re becoming/ what you are. (If possible), write out what you want to be (as regards the bad habit). Take out time and speak it, speak to your mind. Your mind and body needs to catch up on the decision that You made in Your Spirit (that you’re a changed person).
So by SPEAKING/ CONFESSING/ PROFESSING, you reinforce the positive change happening inside you.
7. Be ACCOUNTABLE to someone. The agreement (/alliance) of two people with one purpose beats that of one person. SUPPORT, ENCOURAGEMENT, AND MOTIVATION is twice as effective if someone else (who has your interests at heart) joins you on that journey.
YOU ARE NOT YOUR ADDICTION!
YOU ARE FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE!!
YOU ARE MORE THAN THIS…………………..KEEP PUSHING!!!